- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 large sweet white onions, or yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (2- to 3-inch) pieces cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot.
Cover, and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour
Do not add water, and be careful not to burn the chicken.
Reduce the liquids until they are mostly oils.
Discard the cinnamon sticks, and taste for seasoning. (The sauce should be a bit salty and peppery).